Session 4: Why is Mohr’s circle so disliked? Giving it another chance …
30 minutes presentation, 30 minutes curated Q and A
Mohr’s circle seems to be a very unpopular topic in structural mechanics courses!
I think it is because it seems to be:
- Very arcane
- Very procedural
- Very confusing
- Never used in practical engineering
Why bother with Principal Stresses, Maximum shears etc. – Von Mises is king!!
Maybe don’t want to go back to graphs, but:
- Perhaps Mohr’s circle is useful today to help understand:
- Why do stress transformations?
- What are stress transformations?
I am trying to give Mohr a boost here!
Check out the other webinars:
- Why is Normal Modes analysis such an important building block
- Why on earth do we use complex notation in dynamic analysis – what are complex numbers?
- Why do we apply perturbation loads in nonlinear buckling?